EDINBURG – The Edinburg Rotary Club recently recognized students from the Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District’s Early College High School Program during its luncheon meeting at the Echo Hotel.
“We are really thankful to the Rotary for giving us this opportunity. The students were really able to share what the program has done for them and how it has impacted their lives,” said ECISD Director of Advanced Academics and Guidance Services Angelica Perez.
The students’ recognition is part of the Edinburg Rotary’s Student of the Month Program, which highlights two senior students from each high school. As they accept their awards, the students give a speech about their accomplishments and future plans.
The Edinburg CISD Early College High School Program provides students with the opportunities to earn college hours while enrolled in high school.
“The program starts with the recruitment phase in eighth grade. We identify the cohorts of students that meet the criteria for that program,” Perez said. “By the time they register for the ninth grade, the students already know that they are in that cohort for the Early College High School Program and they have the guidance necessary to start that first day of school.”
The Edinburg Rotary recognized the following students:
- Edinburg High School senior Brandy Rodriguez
- Edinburg High School senior Joe Fortuna
- Edinburg North High School senior Rebeca Labra
- Edinburg North High School senior Luis Tapia
- Economedes High School senior Katherine Garza
- Economedes High School senior Albert Garcia Jr.
- Vela High School senior Ashley Nicole Pena
- Vela High School senior Christian Garza