EDINBURG – The Edinburg Rotary Club recently highlighted the Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District’s Fine Arts Program during its luncheon meeting at the Echo Hotel in Edinburg.
“We witnessed a great group of students that represent what all of the fine arts are about and also the students that participate in the arts. Many of them have participated since the elementary school year,” ECISD Fine Arts Director Nelinda Villarreal said. “What really resonated from student to student is that with hard work, dedication and focus you can achieve great success and have excellence as well in the whole process.”
The students’ recognition is part of the Edinburg Rotary’s Student of the Month Program, which highlights two senior students from each high school. As they accept their awards, the students give a speech about their accomplishments and future plans.
The Fine Arts Department offers several programs that begin in the elementary school level and continue into the high school level, including music, choir, mariachi, guitar, art, band and orchestra.
“All elementary students have at least 45 minutes to 50 minutes of music, art, theatre or dance all embedded within the same program at the elementary level,” Villarreal said. “Once they get into the middle school, they can go on ahead and decide what they want to do.”
The Edinburg Rotary recognized the following students:
- Edinburg High School senior Athena Martinez
- Edinburg High School senior Azdruball Montemayor
- Edinburg North High School senior Ariza Cantu
- Edinburg North High School senior Miguel Aguirre
- Economedes High School senior Jennifer Vasquez
- Economedes High School senior Diego Garza
- Vela High School senior Paulina Ramos
- Vela High School senior Ethan Alaniz