EDINBURG – The Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District recently announced the winners of its 28th Annual District Spelling Bee 2021, which was conducted virtually for the first time.
During the virtual competition, 48 students participated from their homes in an online testing platform developed by the Scripps National Spelling Bee. The Library Services Department hosted the livestreamed event, which allowed students to compete on any device with internet access from home.
“It was nerve-racking sometimes, and sometimes it was exciting. It was an experience,” said Jessica Thomas, a South Middle School student who earned first place. “In all honesty, I just never expected it to happen.”
The top five students who will be representing Edinburg CISD at the Regional Spelling Bee competition include:
- First Place – Jessica Thomas, a sixth-grader at South Middle School
- Second Place – Steel Alsbury, a seventh-grader at Brewster School
- Third Place – Joshua Rosales, a seventh-grader at Garza Middle School
- Fourth Place – Marcos Gutierrez, a fifth-grader at De Zavala Elementary School
- Fifth Place – Alexa Sanchez, a fifth-grader at De Escandon Elementary School
All five will now advance to the Rio Grande Valley 33rd Annual Regional Spelling Bee to be held on March 6, 2021.