EDINBURG – The Edinburg Rotary Club recently presented awards to the top UIL Academics students from the Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District.
“The Rotary event really emphasizes the fact that UIL helps the students intellectually and raises a great awareness on how to learn in a fun way, so that students can take that learning back into the classroom,” ECISD Fine Arts and UIL Academics Director Nelinda Villarreal said.
The students’ recognition is part of the Edinburg Rotary’s Student of the Month Program, which highlights two senior students from each high school during the Rotary’s luncheon meeting. As they accept their awards, the students each give a speech about their accomplishments and future plans.
“As one little girl put it, ‘UIL Academics really challenges the individual in two areas: responsibility and intellect,’” Villarreal said. “These students are great examples of what our UIL Department is all about. So, we are very proud of our program and our students.”
The Edinburg Rotary recognized the following students:
- Edinburg High School senior Larami Mireles
- Edinburg High School senior Ruben Flores
- Edinburg North High School senior San Juanita Castellano
- Edinburg North High School senior Diego Perez
- Economedes High School senior Jasmin Lopez
- Economedes High School senior Juan Roman
- Vela High School senior Thalia Zuniga
- Vela High School senior Kevyn Morales
Edinburg CISD offers dozens of UIL Academic programs, including calculator, math, ready writing, computer science, impromptu speaking and acting.
“We have about 2,000 elementary students participating in UIL. We have another 2,000 in middle school and we have about 1,000 in the high school,” Villarreal said.