22-23 Secondary Dress Code Policy
The district’s dress code teaches grooming and hygiene, prevent disruption, minimizes safety hazards and maintains a positive learning climate. Students and parents may determine a student’s personal dress and grooming standards, provided that they comply with the following guidelines:
The secondary school dress code for the students is as follows:
- Shirts and blouses may be worn unbuttoned no lower than two buttons below the collar.
- Walking shorts may be worn by secondary students (grades 6-12), no more than 4 inches above the crease on the back of the knee.
- See-through shirts or blouses, sleeveless shirts and blouses without proper undershirts, vests without a proper, undershirt, sleeveless undershirts without a proper shirt, and crop tops may not be worn. Sleeveless dresses, blouses, and shirts may be worn provided that undergarments are not exposed.
- Low-cut, shoulder less, or string-tie/halter-type dresses, blouses, or shirts may not be worn. Length of dresses and skirts must be appropriate for school and not distracting to others. No shorter than 4 inches above the crease on the back of the knee.
- Caps, hats, helmets, or headgear shall not be worn unless they are required for an approved school activity. Bandanas are not allowed.
- Clothes and personal items printed or stamped with obscene, vulgar, or suggestive language or scenes such as skulls, blood, and the like are prohibited. Apparel such as shirts with drug, alcohol, or tobacco logos, symbols, or illustrations, or logos, symbols, or illustrations of any other substance prohibited under FNCF(LEGAL) are also prohibited.
- Hair must be clean and neatly combed. Style, cut, and color must not be extreme to the point of creating a distraction.
- Sideburns must not extend beyond the bottom of the ear lobe. Mustaches must be neatly trimmed. Beards and goatees are not permitted.
- Students may wear earrings on ears only. No other body-piercing device may be worn.
- Grooming, combing hair, and applying make-up or nail polish is not allowed in the classroom or cafeteria.
- Steel-toe shoes (footwear) are not permitted except in shop areas as required by instructors. Shoes with metal taps or noise-making devices on the soles are not allowed.
- Students are not allowed to wear baggy clothing, including clothes tailored to look oversized and long belts.
- Overcoats will be worn only during cold weather.
- Clothing style and cut must not be excessive in nature as to create a distraction or safety hazard.
- The wearing or display of gang-related colors or gang-related paraphernalia will not be permitted.
- Pants or trousers must be worn at the waist.
- Clothing and jewelry must be worn as they are designed to be worn (for example: straps on overalls must be worn on the shoulder). No chains are to be worn with clothing or wallets.
- Jeans that are shredded, torn or ripped will not be allowed.